Spelled [pik] IPA /pɪk/
–verb (used with object)
- to choose or select from among a group: to pick a contestant from the audience.
Spelled [nooz, nyooz] IPA /nuz, nyuz/
–noun ( usually used with a singular verb )
- a report of a recent event; intelligence; information: His family has had no news of his whereabouts for months.
- the presentation of a report on recent or new events in a newspaper or other periodical or on radio or television.
- such reports taken collectively; information reported: There's good news tonight.
- a person, thing, or event considered as a choice subject for journalistic treatment; newsworthy material. Compare copy ( def. 5 ) .